Our programming includes..
- an alternative path to high school graduation.
- a program that teaches career readiness skills.
- a challenging full-time commitment.
- a community organization serving Providence youth.
At YouthBuild young people can:
- earn a high school diploma.
- earn an Americorps award for their service hours.
- learn skills in the fields of construction, social justice, social work and education.
- earn college credits while attending YouthBuild by taking courses that are designed for YouthBuild students.
- learn how to support themselves, their families, and their communities effectively.
The mission of YouthBuild Preparatory Academy (YB Prep) is to prepare young people ages 14-21 for post-secondary education, career and leadership in a global society.
Statement of Operation
Our model is designed based on a community that recognizes and supports the diverse needs of urban youth, creates an environment for individual growth, and cultivates social and emotional development resulting in successful transition from adolescence to adulthood. YB Prep is laser-focused on academic excellence and achievement. We provide a rigorous and relevant, standards-driven experiential learning community to ensure all students master the content and skills necessary to earn a post-secondary degree.
The YouthBuild Preparatory Academy is designed to serve the unique academic and nonacademic learning needs of urban youth. The curriculum is grounded in the principles of social justice. This includes a focus on social and economic issues facing urban youth, educational equity, politics and advocacy, community development, and mental, physical and emotional wellness.
The program is sponsored in part by the
- U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration.
- Rhode Island Department of Education
- Rhode Island Foundation
- The United Way of Rhode Island
- The City of Providence (CDBG)
Our Network of Organizations
YouthBuild Preparatory Academy is an affiliate of YouthBuild USA, a national non-profit organization dedicated to helping low-income young people become educated, productive adults in their communities. We are one of roughly 226 YouthBuild programs, nationally.
YouthBuild Preparatory Academy supported by AmeriCorps National. All YouthBuild Providence students are considered for the awarded quarter-time AmeriCorps slots.
YouthBuild Preparatory Academy
YouthBuild Providence is a program of YouthBuild Preparatory Academy.
Department of Labor
YouthBuild Preparatory Academy is made possible through funding from the US Department of Labor, Employment & Training Administration.
YouthBuild Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer/program and auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.